Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pizza in NYC, OH (part two)

   As I walk past the array of Italian colored neon lights into the propped open door, an assortment of smells invade my nostrils.
   Tiramisu, baklava, biscotti, strombolis, calzones, chicken, soups and three types of pizza were all competing to win over my senses. My nose and eyes were telling my appetite  to get some of everything. It was tough to just get one slice of New York style pizza.
   The employees were friendly and made me feel at home. I found out that Big Star Pizza is a family owned restaurant. they have been using the recipe for decades. They were the original pizza place in Rolling Acres mall. I think it is fortunate for them that the mall failed. This place should not be looked at as food court pizza. The menu is too epic and the people are too genuine.
   There were numerous slices already ready. I ordered a fresh slice with green peppers, onions, black olives, spinach and tomatoes. New York style pizzas are known for being good with vegetables.
   The inside of Big Star is a pretty visually stimulating atmosphere. Aside from the excellently prepared food on display, the mix of yellow, green, lime green and red really keeps you at attention while you are inside. It is not a negative effect, but an interesting effect. Are these colors keeping me from being bored during my wait? It made inanimate objects stand out. It was reminiscent to what Aldous Huxley explained in Doors of Perception. Huxley talks about his early trial with mescaline and how it allowed him to view objects for their issness, or istigkeit, rather than what function they serve and how proportionate they are to him. Did these colors manipulate my brain in some strange way to keep me from being bored? No. I suspect that this thought was actually a result of me being bored.
   The wait was not long. In the matter of 10 minutes, I had a delicious looking slice of pizza in front of me. The vegetables sat on the cheese like an art composition. The smell overpowered the smell of the other food constantly being cooked. I knew I was in for a better slice than my first trial with the Chicago style pizza. 

No comments:

Post a Comment