Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Pizza at "Gatsby's" (part one)

   750Ml (milliliter) is a wine bar on West Market Street in Fairlawn, OH. I was told this was the place to go for a great slice and drink.
   My brother, the wine snob, was the person to refer to this strange place. The guy knows food. I will give him that. We have found some of the best pizza in the most peculiar venues and we have similar tastes. I had no reason to reject his recommendation.
   So there we were, surrounded by aristocrats and fashionistas. Me: disorganized and discomposed by the social climate. My brother: extroverted as ever with his eyes glued to the large wine selection.
   Beverage orders are made first, of course. Be drunk--there is no better way to stuff your face in expensive excess.
   I opted for the green tea.

  
   There is something to be said about these two-dollar-a-piece Bigalow tea bags. That something is: You can get 50 of them at the grocery store for approximately $3.00.
   $4.00 tea in hand, I lean back and think of something to compare the situation to while I wait to order. Not far into my attempted relaxation, I think of Nick Carraway. In The Great Gatsby, Carraway witnesses unimaginable elitism in attempt to find his place among the wealthy of Long Island.
   This display of excess did not quite compare. Though, it was enough to urge one to put on airs for a slice of pizza.
   "The help is nice," my brother interrupted, breaking my train of thought.
   I knew he meant the hostess attending to our table. I just was not sure if he was complimenting the service or calling her attractive. In my head I agreed with both and nodded with a laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Luigi's in Akron is one of my favorite places for pizza. Recently I got it to go for a party I had. The pizza is definately better in the restuarant than at home. But hands down the best pizza when your drunk is Hungry Howe's. The flavored crust is amazing. I just thought I would add that.

    ReplyDelete